Tuesday 12 July 2011

Late on the Bandwagon: Girl Talk

I’m not usually one to jump on the bandwagon. Not because I’m a snob, but mainly because I’m slow to pick things up. I don’t listen to the radio and 99 per cent of music press drives me insane. Anyway, I pretty much missed the Girl Talk bandwagon, but hey, it’s not too late to jump on now, right?

Last week, my friend Chuck gave me a copy of Girl Talk’s latest album All Day (amongst a truck load of other things) and after a few listens, I am a fan. It’s not proper music, really. Instead, this is an album full of mashups…mashups of the highest calibre. Girl Talk uses hundreds of samples of (mostly) well known songs to create new music which makes my inner music nerd jump for joy.


The Beastie Boys’ Hey Ladies is layered against Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life, Ludacris is sampled over Black Sabbath, Missy Elliott’s Get Ya Freak On appears over the Ramones’ Blitzkrieg Bop. Throughout the album there are so many “oh my god, I love that song” moments as samples from Radiohead to Busta Rhymes to Fugazi to New Order are all mashed in.

If you haven’t heard the album, it might just sound like a bunch of random crap all smooshed together, but Girl Talk actually makes these samples work and manages to create incredible new songs with them.

This album is insanely detailed but more importantly, it’s just a really good party record. It’s fun, it’s got a sense of humour and it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Be warned though; if you listen to this record, you will spend most of the time playing “guess that sample”. Or you can just check out this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment